Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eye muscle twitching during/after pregnancy

Question
The muscle below my right eye began twitching constantly in the second month of pregnancy.  My OB said it could be related but I gave birth 6 weeks ago and it is still twitching.  I try to limit my caffeine intake but it hasn't seemed to help.  Could this be anything serious?  Is there anything I can do to stop it?


Answer
Hi Amy,

In all my years of practice, eyelid twitching is usually due to some form of stress.  It cold be stress on the eyes from not wearing the proper prescription, stress due to lack of sleep, stress because you forgot to pay the gas bill etc, etc.  If you have not had an eye exam in the last year, I would start there.  Pregnancy rarely has any bearing on your glasses prescription unless you were diabetic during your pregnancy.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Wojciak