Sunday, March 14, 2010

contact lenses

Question
QUESTION: I am a 62 year old male.I wear a contact in both eyes for reading and distance.My question is when reading the l.eye when I blink down and open my eye the reading is very clear for a split second and then goes to a blurr.My doctor told me the problem was dry eye and has given me drops for dry eye.The drops I have been using now for 6 months.A drop in the am %26 again in the pm.I went back for a 6 month check-up and still have the same problem.The doctor says I have tryed everything I can do.

The lense is a Proclear Multifocal 8.7 14.4 +0.50/+2.50d.Could you give me some suggestions.



ANSWER: The symptom you describe is sometimes due to a lens that is flattened against the eye immediately after the blink but then puckers up after.  Dry eye doesn't fully explain your symptom unless your symptom resolves for some time after instilling the drop.  If your vision was stable for a while after the drop then dry eye may explain it.  So you can have your doctor try a different lens to see if it fits better or gives more stable vision.  There are many choices and he (or a different doctor) likely has a different lens for you to try.

Best of luck,

Mitch Axelrod, OD



---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------



QUESTION: Thanks for getting back so quickly.The problem is the same even after the using drops.I told the doctor the same thing you are telling me.It appears when a blink the lens is press up against the eye and then releases.The doctor appears to be aware of that but tells me that there are only what is out on the market to choice from as far as lens and fit.should I see another doctor.Thanks again


Answer
Yes you need a different doctor. There are many multifocal contact lenses to choose from.  Make sure the new doctor knows the trouble you were having and let them discuss your options.  Before you actually go for the exam you can tell his staff which lens you've tried and ask them to ask the doctor if they would have other options for you.  

Regards,

Mitch Axelrod, OD