Sunday, March 14, 2010

ever increasing prescription

Question
i have recently had an eye test and have found out that my short sightedness has got worse, , my first test when i was about 13, my eyes were only -.25 a test about 3-4 years ago was only at -.75 now my eyes are -2.50 and -2.00, im 22 years of age and i have been in univeristy and studying, is this considered quite a steep increase and should i be wearing this new prescription full time or try and jst use it when i really need to? my new glasses seem quite strong for me, if they are overcorrecting my short sightnednes will wearing them make my eyes go even more short sighted and should i go back and get the optician to double check?


Answer
Your eyes still getting worse while you are still in the university is not so unusual, though that leap from -0.75 to -2.50 does sound a little extreme.  



1) if it feels too strong, definitely go back and have it rechecked.  If you wear glasses that are too strong you are likely to grow into them - and will wind up needing that Rx soon.



2) with your type of Rx, I recommend definitely NOT wearing them while studying on paper or computer.  I believe you can see fine to read paper with your natural eyes and can see the computer ok if it is not too far away.  If you wear your glasses for these activities, it is almost the same problem as wearing glasses that are too strong.  It can make your eyes get worse faster.  At -2.50 I would say you should wear them outdoors, definitely for driving, and for TV. You can try to get by without them the rest of the time.