Tuesday, March 16, 2010

strabismus, fish eye, dead eye

Question
I have had strabismus for about 40 years.  I call the condition dead eye or fish eye because when looking straight on, the left eye does not seem to focus on anything.  I now have a cataract on the left eye and I will be getting a lens implant.  My question is will this lens implant improve my overall ability to focus and actual look like the eye is focusing?


Answer
Hi Sheryl,

I don't have enough information to know what your post-operative eye will be capable of.  Your eye doctor should be able to answer your question, though.  Hopefully the eye will be able to see as well as it ever did before the cataract, but it depends on if the the eye was lazy or had amblyopia.  The eye will cosmetically not look different after the surgery.  Your eye doctor will be happy to discuss those things with you.

Best of luck,

Mitch Axelrod,OD