Tuesday, March 16, 2010

painful eyelid

Question
Dear sir, In April this year I had cataract surgery which went smoothly. Two weeks after I experienced pain and do not like the light I was told I have blepharitis and was advised to clean the eye area. The pain is persistant without antibiotics the pain is there all the time. It is now September and I am wondering just how much longer this will go on for as no-one can find anything wrong.


Answer
Hi Sue,

One can't tell what's wrong without examining the eye with the biomicroscope in the office.  Any foreign particle or surface defect or 'sore' should be discoverable.  Do see the doctor again or get a second opinion.  Often frequent lubricating eye drops are discussed or topical a anti-inflammatory is used.

Best of luck,

Mitch Axelrod,OD