Sunday, March 14, 2010

vision problems years after lasik

Question
I am 37 year old female.  I began wearing glasses for nearsightedness when I was 8.  At age 30 I had lasik surgery.  My vision at the time was somewhere around -10. Following the surgery I had 20/20 but soon after I began having difficulty seeing at night and got glasses to help.  I believe the prescription was somewhere around -1.5 in Right eye and -.5 in left.  A while after that, I started having a really strange sensation that my left eye was not focusing properly. It became so uncomfortable that I started wearing the glasses all the time because it seemed to help.  I still wear glasses all the time however every time I get a new pair it takes a long time to adjust.  I keep having to have the left side of the frame adjusted to just the right spot or I feel that same strange sensation.  Also, I get headaches, light sensitive and it feels like it is hard to focus on things that are moving fast like cars or on the TV.  I am wondering if there is something I can do.  I usually have a lot of anxiety about getting new frames because I am never sure if I will eventually get used to them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  


Answer
Dear Natalie,



It is possible that your headaches and symptoms are related to maybe a prescription which is not being addressed by the current prescription or you may be having a sinus headache / allergies / cold where the nerve supply being similar to that of the eyes, gives rise to the above symptoms which you may think of as coming from the eyes, but cause is elsewhere.



take it step at a time, first check with the optometrist if there is any change in prescription.



If not significant then a physician would help rule out other causes.



Hope this helps,

Best,

Dr Shroff