Sunday, March 14, 2010

Upper eye lid swelling

Question
Hello Dr Shroff,



I have been suffering from a swelling on my upper left eye lid for the last 4 weeks. I have been to an ophthalmologist who dilated my eye, checked for anything wrong internally and thankfully answered back in the negative. I was advised to have anti inflammatory and swelling reduction medicine, which I had for 5 days but it has not ceased.



I woke up this morning to a very bad swelling and redness on my eye lid. I had used MAXIDEX last night and this is what it resulted in. This morning I applied Fucithalmic and had some more of those anti- swelling tabs together with an anti-allergy syrup. The problem is it gets better during the day and comes back with a  vengeance in the night. There is no pain, no itchiness or any other discomfort.



I am flying next week and am worried that it might make it worse. Would you advise the next course of action?



Would really appreciate a quick response,



cheers


Answer
Dear Ruchi,



Wondering if this swelling is generalized or localized like a stye?



If it is a localized bump, it needs local hot fomentation at the earliest frequently to reduce it.



yes, the above medications also would help, but nothing like the hot fomentation.



If it is a generalized swelling one needs to look for causes such as foreign body under the lid, allergic reaction etc.



If the generalized swelling has beocme like a 'bump' now, it could have turned into a hard cyst.



Only after examination one would determine the exact diagnosis and treatment line accordingly.



If you have any eye report which describes this it would help greatly which can be then e mailed to dranand@lasikindia.in



Hope this helps,

Best,

Dr Anand Shroff

www.shroffeye.org

www.lasikindia.in